Tel: (+353) 53 9377308

Development

  • 1861
    On August 10, 1861 five days after the arrival of the FCJ’s in Bunclody, a notice appeared in “The People” newspaper announcing the Sisters intention of opening a Boarding School… “to afford to parents an opportunity of giving to their children a good religious education”. The Sisters also “took charge of the small National School close by, where they taught the girls in an upper room, while a master taught the boys in the lower”.
  • 1865
    School records of 1865 give the following numbers of students. Boarders: 39 Day Pupils : 15 National School : 120
  • 1866
    The first of many extensions – a dormitory – was built
  • 1883
    The existing National School was completely renovated and the new building was handed over to the nuns for the education of girls only.
  • 1894
    During this year a Refectory, Study Hall and Dormitory were built.
  • 1898
    A further extension, comprising a Lady Chapel, Junior Study and Linen Room was completed.
  • 1906
    Changing curriculum needs required the building of a Science Laboratory, Art Room and Domestic Science Kitchen
  • 1909
    Recreation Rooms, Music Rooms and Dormitories were built.
  • 1953
    A new stairway and cloakrooms were added to the National School.
  • 1964
    A Hall, locker rooms & classroom were built for the Secondary School.
  • 1969
    When Free Education was introduced in 1969 there was a marked increase in enrolment with boys attending the Secondary School for the first time. A RohFab building (St. Bridgid’s) was erected and added classrooms, a cloakroom, Science Laboratory and Art Room to the School. The Department of Education gave a 75% grant towards this building in 1969. The first time in the history of the school that a grant was received for building.
  • 1975
    The F.C.J. Girls’ N.S. amalgamated with the local Boys School and F.C.J. Sisters joined the staff in the new school, Our Lady of Lourdes N.S. The old school was demolished.
    With student enrolment increasing annually:
    1961: 135 Students
    1971: 262 Students
    1981: 540 Students
    additional accommodation became a priority at the end of the 1970’s. Ten prefabricated classrooms were provided with the aid of a Department grant and F.C.J. Community resources.
  • 1986
    The new red brick building opened (St. Patrick’s), providing Classrooms, Cloakrooms, Offices & Staff room, Biology & Physics Laboratories, Sports Hall, Language Laboratory, Art Room, Library and Domestic Science Kitchen & Sewing Room.
    In June 1986 the boarding school closed after 125 years and the dormitories, refectory, etc. were converted for school use.
  • 1998
    New Construction Studies and Engineering Rooms (St. Aidan’s) were erected in 1998, funded by the F.C.J. Order.
  • 2001
    Tenders were accepted in October 2001 for a new extension to replace the Boarding School Building. (St. Victoire’s opened in early 2003) 2003 The Boarding School Building was demolished to make way for a new extension, The d’Houet Building, which was funded by the F.C.J.’s and opened in November 2003. 2005 New Basketball/Tennis Courts, funded by the F.C.J. Order, were provided and the Library was converted to Music Tuition rooms, an office and resource room. The Library is now located in Room 46 in the d’Houet Building. 2007 The Home Economics Kitchen & Room 68 were refurbished in the summer of 2007. The kitchen (Room 24 – St. Patrick’s), in use since 1986, needed modernising and replacement/renovation of fittings and furniture. Room 68 (St. Victoire’s) was only built in 2002, but had to be updated to cater for the new L.C. subject, “Design & Communications Graphics”, which has replaced Technical Drawing. Much of the work in this subject is done on computers so the drawing desks, etc. have been replaced by computer work stations. 2008 In the school’s 147th year, the first lay principal was appointed. 2009 In September 2009 the school entered the Le Chéile Trust 2011 In the summer a new classroom was built at the side of St. Patrick’s Building, this incorporated Room 8 & the games store, which were replaced elsewhere. An office for the Learning Support teacher was built adjacent to the new room and another girls’ changing room provided on the mezzanine of the Gym. Also, the Boiler system was upgraded and the controls centralised. In the autumn a new Science Laboratory was completed adjacent to the M.T. Wood room at the back of St.Victoires.

Contact Us

FCJ Secondary School,
Bunclody,
Enniscorthy,
Co. Wexford
Tel: (+353)53-9377308
App: FCJ Bunclody